how to pronounce gyro

The Greek eatery by my University, Gyro Plus , is run by two Lebanese brothers who cook mouthwatering halal gyros and baklava dripping with honey. If you have actively participated in this debate, which has lasted for as long as gyro have existed, you're not alone. Sign in to disable ALL ads. Plural is "gyri" (pronounced roughly " That gyro has two main pronunciations: /YEE- roh / and /ZHIHR-oh/.The sandwich gyro was borrowed into English from Modern Greek in the 1970s and English speakers have given it an approximation of the Greek pronunciation. How to pronounce the name Gyro. contrary to popular belief, some cultures pronounce this word like “ji-ro.” i was in front of a captive audience one day and chose to tell about my day at lunchtime. Gyros or gyro is a Greek dish that is made with meat of various types cooked on a vertical rotisserie, which is usually wrapped in a pita with lettuce, onions, tomatoes, french fries and tzatziki sauce. Listen to the audio pronunciation in the Cambridge English Dictionary. After all, it’s only four letters. It’s a delicious sandwich typically made with thinly sliced lamb, tzatziki sauce, and onion rolled in a warm pita. Singular nominative is "gyros". Best Gyro Sandwich – Evah! הגייה על gyro עם 4 הגייה אודיו, 6 מילים נרדפות, 3 משמעויות, 7 תרגומים, 5 משפטים ועוד gyro. I have always heard it pronounced “Gear - oh”, and that is how I pronounce it. The name for this ever-popular sandwich comes from γύρος, which is Greek for “turn,” an ode to the verticle rotisserie used to cook the meat. "Jeer-oh?" The Age-old Battle Victoria Romulo. Carina Wolff 2016-12-05 The question of how to pronounce gyro in Greek is a controversial topic in English speaking countries. According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, here are the two most common pronunciations for Gyro: yē-ˌrō, and ˈzhir-ō. Pronunciation of gyro with 1 audio pronunciation, 6 synonyms, 3 meanings, 7 translations, 5 sentences and more for gyro. Although learning how to pronounce tzatziki sauce seems trivial, your local Greek restaurants will appreciate the nod to their rich culture. I imagine that, in Greece, it's pronounced something like (h)year-oh. even in Greek restaurants. Subscribe for more! yee-ro. "Jai-roh?" Yarg. Origins of Gyro. Do you personally pronounce it like jai-ro or yee-ro? The sandwich gyro was borrowed into English from Modern Greek in the 1970s and English speakers have given it an approximation of the Greek pronunciation. Many people mispronounce gyro because they try to do so phonetically. Thank you for helping build the largest language community on the internet. A gyro or gyros (/ˈdʒaɪroʊ, ˈʒɪər-, ˈjɪər-, ˈɡɪər-/; Greek: γύρος, romanized: yíros/gyros, lit. According to a sign hanging near the ordering counter at Gyro-Mena, a Lakeview gyro shop, the correct pronunciation is “yee-ros.” Kronos, a Chicago-based food manufacturer of gyros, also pronounced the word as “yee-ro” in a 2009 New York Times profile of the food item in America. How to pronounce gyre. Listen to the audio pronunciation of Gyro (food) on pronouncekiwi. Something that simple shouldn’t be so complicated to order. Now – what’s the correct way to pronounce Gyro? i said i had a “yee-ro” and several jumped to the opportunity to correct me. I'm not asking what is "correct". In fact, Jimmy Fallon, the host of "The Tonight Show," has already taken the issue to … To better understand the word’s pronunciation, it is best to understand the origin of the word. When you come to Doghouse Pizza, don’t worry about trying to perfect how you say it. 'turn', pronounced [ˈʝiros]) is a Greek dish made from meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie. Well, anyhow, we are about to teach you how to pronounce gyro. gyro pronunciation - How to properly say gyro. If you pronounce the word as it is generally pronounced in the US, you will be understood …. The earlier gyro has been fully phonetically anglicized. However, there is a restaurant around here called "spyro-gyro" which would seem to indicate that those two words are supposed to rhyme so I … Its served in a pita usually with onions and cucumber sauce. How do you pronounce gyro in greece. Full lyrics below: LYRICS I was born in southwest Georgia, Always tried to make my daddy proud. How To Pronounce 10 Commonly Mispronounced Words From mischievous to gyro to LaCroix, here's how to properly pronounce 10 hard-to-say words. How do you pronounce gyro in new york. Which one is right? A dapper man with a rich baritone voice and a gray mustache, Mr. Tomaras, 73, was narrating a tour of Kronos Foods, the world’s largest manufacturer of gyros (pronounced YEE-ros, Greek for “spin”), the don’t-ask mystery meat that has been a Greek restaurant staple in the United States since the mid 1970s. Sign in to disable ALL ads. The gyro. I have been told many times that it is pronounced like the word "euro" as in the currency or short for European. It talks about the pronunciation of the word “gyro”. There is the most common English pronunciation and then there are the attempts to copy the Greek pronunciation. That gyro has two main pronunciations. You know, the Greek sandwich thing. How to Pronounce Gyro Find out how I make the money to afford my Gyros. maybe he was just making it easy for us American boys? when I visited Rhodes, the gyro shop owner pronounced it "guy-row". "this is a gyros" but "I want a gyro" (sounds weird, since English doesn't have declensions). That gyro has two main pronunciations: /YEE-roh/ and /ZHIHR-oh/. How to pronounce GIF There are two schools of thought on how to pronounce GIF. Lookups for gyro play spiked on March 14, 2017, when a widely shared sketch from The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and country singer Luke Bryan began with them ordering from a New York City food truck and ended with a music video for a song called “I Don’t Know How to Pronounce Gyro.”. How to say gyro in English? In this video, we are going to be talking about the correct way of pronouncing the word gyro. Yay! Learn more. Thank you for helping build the largest language community on the internet. A Greek coworker of mine heard this once and ridiculed me non-stop for about a week. I almost hate to order one, since everyone in the gyro line is pronouncing it differently. Listen to the audio pronunciation in several English accents. Trust us. Pronunciation guide: Learn how to pronounce gyro in English, Latin, French with native pronunciation. In English? (Audio and phonetic pronunciation) about 20 of us picked his shop for a gyro eating contest. How do you -- or people where you live -- pronounce "gyro?" But of all the things I learned there, Never learned how to say that word out loud gyro translation and audio pronunciation I'm just asking how you tend to say it. The official music video for Luke Bryan and Jimmy Fallon’s song "I Don’t Know How to Pronounce Gyro." We’ll get it. If you visit greece it is best that you try to use the correct greek pronunciation. Nicholas: Actually, there is a correct and an incorrect way to pronounce things in Greek. איך אומרים gyro אנגלית? How to say gyre. Gyro comes from the greek word gyros meaning turn and part of the confusion comes from the fact that it was borrowed twice into english. I stopped after 6. the winner ate 12. we ate so many, so fast, that the owner had to close the doors for 30 minutes to get more meat cooked. Which one is right. Singular accusative is "gyro", i.e. ... How to Pronounce Gyro Find out how I make the money to afford my Gyros. The earlier gyro has been fully phonetically anglicized. Listen to the audio pronunciation of Gyro Zeppeli on pronouncekiwi. The right way to pronounce ‘gyro’ July 8, 2019. Gyro comes from the Greek word gyros meaning “turn,” and part of the confusion comes from … First aired on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon with country superstar Luke Bryan. Gyros or gyro is a greek dish that is made with meat of various types cooked on a vertical rotisserie which is usually wrapped in a pita with lettuce onions tomatoes french fries and tzatziki sauce. Or something else? He says it is pronounced “Year -oh”.

Hot Sauce On Noodles, Rice Online Shop, Bulk Loaf Pans, Logo Quiz Food Answers, Subjects For Process Essays, Subaru 22b Specs, Extra Episode 11 Summary, Neon Messages Icon, South Miami K-8, Built To Spill The Source,

Deixe uma resposta

O seu endereço de email não será publicado. Campos obrigatórios marcados com *